Tuesday, February 23, 2010

My Great Great Aunt's Sugar Cookies

My mom remembers making these with her mom growing up, and I remember making them with my mom growing up.  I can't wait to share the experience with my own children!  This is a very old recipe, though my mom has been kind enough to update it (the original called for "a glass of milk".  Not a certain sized glass, just a glass!)

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup butter flavored crisco (original recipe called for lard)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda (dampen with white vinegar)
1 tsp vanilla (use a little extra if using vanilla extract)
2 eggs
1 cup milk
3 cups flower

Cream sugar and crisco. 
Add eggs, stir.
Add baking powder, stir.
Add vanilla, stir.
Add milk, stir.
Add baking soda (dampened with vinegar), stir.
Add flour, stir.

You can either drop on a cookie sheet at this point, or add more flour until it reaches a good consistency to roll out and use cookie cutters.  I normally end up using 5-6 cups of flour total.
Bake at 350 until you can press on the middle of the cookie and it "springs" back up

No comments:

Post a Comment